|“||Delivering justice one shell at a time.||”|
— film's tagline
Hobo with a Shotgun s a 2011 Canadian exploitation action film directed by Jason Eisener and written by John Davies, starring Rutger Hauer. It is based on the winning trailer of the same name from Robert Rodriguez's South by Southwest Grindhouse trailers contest. This was the first fake trailer for the Grindhouse double feature.
A vigilante homeless man pulls into a new city and finds himself trapped in urban chaos, a city where crime rules and where the city's crime boss reigns. Seeing an urban landscape filled with armed robbers, corrupt cops, abused prostitutes and even a pedophile Santa, the Hobo goes about bringing justice to the city the best way he knows how—with a 20-gauge shotgun. Mayhem ensues when he tries to make things better for the future generation. Street justice will indeed prevail.
- Rutger Hauer as Hobo
- Gregory Smith as Slick
- Molly Dunsworth as Abby
- Brian Downey as The Drake
- Robb Wells as Logan
- Nick Bateman as Ivan/Rip
- Peter Simas as Grinder
- Jeremy Akerman as Chief of Police
- Glen Matthews as Gang Leader
- Drew O'Hara as Otis
- David Brunt as "Dirty Cop"
- While shot on a Red Epic camera, the film was digitally post-processed in order to make it look like it was shot on color reversal stock cross-processed in negative chemicals, which results in highly saturated, shifted colors.
- When the Hobo is at the apartment getting beaten up, he gets stomped on the back with skate blades this cuts his clothes and back up. The following scenes he is wearing the same clothes but the shirt is no longer cut nor are there any injuries to his back.